Thursday, July 16, 2009

Only my son....






Joey's soccer was quite the experience. We had so many emotions felt by Joey, Mommy and Daddy. Here is what went down.

First, it was SUPPOSED to be non parent participation class. That is different, because all the other classes the boys have taken have been child and parent classes. So, the plan was to go with both boys, spend half the time with Andy and I watching Joey play. Then Daddy would come and take one of the boys, and I would be with the other. This was because the class started at 4:30 and Daddy gets home at 5:00. Sounds like a plan, but turns out it wasn't a good plan.

So we get there early on the first day and check in. Joey is four, he is with the four year olds and gets a yellow shirt. The others that sign up are all getting white shirts, but they are three. Macy gets a yellow shirt, she is four. As time went by, I saw only two yellow shirts, Joey and Macy. They seemed to have decided to only give out white shirts after already giving out two yellow ones. Not a good situation for a shy four year old boy!

So class started and understandably Joey wants me standing by him. Well, he didn't want me to leave his side. That was ok for awhile. Then they played a game called Sharks and Minnows that Joey plays at school, although they call it Monster in the Middle. He HATES this game and won't play it with his friends. Of course, he didn't want to play it here either. This starts the pattern of nonparticipation. He would not participate the rest of the class. Daddy tried, Mommy tried, he wouldn't go back out there.

Onto the second class--it was stinkin' hot! Same thing as the first, though. He started playing, but once he got to the dreaded game, there was no more! Ditto on the third and fourth classes. By this time, we were keeping Andy at home with babysitters, hoping that would change things, but it didn't. Oh, the last straw on the fourth class was when he threw his shoe at me. My normally well behaved son? Throw his shoe at me???????

By the time we got to the fifth class I was completely frustrated and wondering what I did wrong. Upon analysis, I had decided it was the whole situation, the yellow shirt, the so-called coaches, starting with Andy there, just everything. I told Joey that I bought special stickers for the scrapbook's soccer page, but I just may have to return them, because I wasn't sure we would want to have a soccer page. He said he would try harder.

Well, we were about to go down to the field when he announced he needed to use the restroom. Because of this, he missed the beginning of class. He didn't want to join the class that had already started. We played soccer down at the big net at the end of the field. It was definitely better than fighting with him on the sidelines to go out there!

OK, so it is the last class. Joey's last chance. He said he would 'dissipate' (participate) this time. I said I would be so proud of him if he did! Well......

HE DID!

He played the ALL of the time unless they were playing Sharks and Minnows. YEAH!!!! Of course, he waited for the last possible moment to participate, but he did!

Afterwords he says, "Mommy, I love soccer. What am I going to play next."

1 comment:

  1. Yeay! My preschool director likes to remind me that sometimes it's the process and not the progress. Hooray for small but precious victories.

    ReplyDelete